- Application for HIFU
- Extraorgan tumors
- HIFU ultrasound ablation (price list)
- How to make a decision to receive
- In case of refusal of HIFU therapy
- Kidney tumors
- Liver neoplasms
- Neoplasms of the adrenal glands
- Neoplasms of the spleen
- Procedure for the treatment of nonresident patients
Appointment phone number (383) 309-00-00 (additional 1) around the clock.Application for HIFU
treatment at a special price
HIFU belongs to the category of modern non-invasive methods of treatment of a wide range of pathological neoplasms. The peculiarity of using ultrasound is the instantaneous heating of the tissue area to which this radiation is directed, for example, to reach 65.56° C, ultrasound exposure is required for 20 seconds. The sensor used in this method is similar to that used for diagnostic imaging. The features of the point high-energy effect of ultrasound allow it to be used repeatedly, until the complete destruction of a malignant tumor. The HIFU therapy procedure is carried out under the control of an MRI examination, which allows you to control the temperature and the area of ultrasound exposure.
Indications for treatment
Currently, we treat patients with the following diseases:
- Uterine fibroids and adenomyosis
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Soft tissue sarcomas
- Liver neoplasms
- Parasitic liver lesions (echinococcosis, alveococcosis)
- Tumors of the pancreas, mammary glands, kidneys, bones and soft tissues
- Extraorgan tumors
The method is based on the use of special equipment, the peculiarity of which is the focused effect of ultrasound on a specific lesion.
The complete immobility of the patient is especially important for the successful implementation of HIFU therapy, which allows the device to act on the affected tissue, while preserving the healthy part of the organ as much as possible. The patient's immobility is achieved by using light sedation, for which not general anesthesia is used, but a special type of sedation that allows the patient to be conscious and calmly doze, but not move.
Before performing therapy, it is necessary to conduct a number of diagnostic studies. The types of studies are determined by the attending physician, who focuses on the patient's condition and the stage of the pathological process.
An obligatory type of examination is an MRI of the object of subsequent ultrasound exposure (prostate gland, bones, uterus or any other organ affected by a pathological neoplasm). Conducting a preliminary MRI study is extremely important, since the results of HIFU therapy will be compared with the original MRI image. In addition, an MRI examination will reveal concomitant pathological processes and risk factors.
We recommend conducting preliminary studies in our clinic, because in this case the doctor will not be misinformed by the features of the obtained image with different devices.
What happens when HIFU is executed?
The process of performing the procedure consists of several stages.
- Conducting light sedation of the patient. Introduction of painkillers. This is necessary to reduce pain, in addition, anxiety is eliminated. The dose is calculated in such a way that the patient is conscious and can report his feelings during exposure to ultrasound.
- The patient is placed on the table of the MRI scanner, in the upper part of the table there is a source of focused ultrasound energy. Ultrasonic energy is supplied through the skin by means of a transducer in separate pulses. The patient's position is chosen in such a way as to ensure maximum contact of the working surface with the patient's body, where the target organ is localized. For example, in the treatment of fibroids, this position is on the stomach.
- The duration of the procedure is at least 3 hours.
- The study is completed by intravenous administration of a contrast agent. Thus, upon completion of the MRI examination, the effectiveness of the procedure can be determined.
- For the duration of the entire treatment process, patients are provided with a safety button that allows them to immediately stop ultrasound when pain occurs.
Benefits of HIFU Therapy
- Complete non-invasiveness (no incisions and punctures of tissues)
- Without ionizing radiation
- Impact accuracy
- No need for analgesics
- Short recovery period
- High safety of the method compared to surgical intervention
- Extremely rare and mild side effects
- Lack of anesthesia
HIFU is aimed at the complete destruction of the tumor or taking control of its growth, as well as the removal of symptoms associated with the development of a neoplasm.
HIFU can be recommended for patients in whom traditional surgical treatment cannot be used due to the severe physical condition of their body, or when general anesthesia is contraindicated for them.
Advantages of exposure to ultrasound oncological neoplasms
If we compare HIFU with non-invasive or minimally invasive methods of tumor removal (embolization of vessels supplying the tumor, radiofrequency exposure, cryotherapy and directed radiation therapy), then the following features can be distinguished:
- Ultrasonic energy does not have the property of cumulation in comparison with radiation therapy, where there is an accumulation of ionizing radiation in the intermediate tissue. When using ultrasound, necrosis is focused on the pathological focus, while healthy tissue remains untreated and retains its functions. The boundary between necrosis and healthy tissue is 0.1 mm. Since there is no cumulation effect, the procedure can be easily repeated.
- The procedure, due to the peculiarities of the technology, does not require the introduction of tools into the pathological neoplasm itself or into the vascular bed. The external applicator allows for precise and deep tissue necrosis.
- 3. Even if there are metastases in the bone tissue after exposure to HIFU on an outpatient basis, the patient can leave the medical institution within an hour. A decrease in pain quickly occurs, which allows patients to reduce the dose of analgesics or completely abandon them. In the treatment of prostate diseases, the patient can stay in a day hospital, and will be able to return to his usual lifestyle in two days.
- The use of this technology allows achieving targeted results in one session, unlike radiation therapy.
- The effect of ultrasonic energy converted into thermal energy is strictly purposeful and does not depend on the thermal conductivity of the pathological focus. The procedure can be carried out in the presence of large adjacent vessels, which, when conducting, for example, radiofrequency thermal exposure, work as heat sinks and reduce the effect of radiofrequency therapy.
- The reduction of pain when using HIFU occurs much faster than with other methods of tumor removal, since the resulting coagulation necrosis is less painful than ischemic necrosis resulting from transarterial embolization. This effect has been proven by the example of the treatment of fibroids and bone lesions.
- Necrosis of pathological tissue after the use of this technology occurs immediately. The results of exposure can be evaluated immediately after therapy by obtaining an MRI image of the nonperfusion volume of treatment.
- The use of HIFU technology in the treatment of prostate cancer is of particular relevance. Although this type of therapy is insufficiently studied, research in this area is actively conducted. There are already results that HIFU therapy significantly reduces the side effects characteristic of surgery and radiation therapy: urinary incontinence, fatigue, diarrhea and others.
List of diagnoses and situations excluding HIFU:
- Diseases of the chest organs: lung cancer, metastases in the lungs, pleural mesothelioma, mediastinal tumors.
- Formation of subcutaneous fat closer than 2 cm from the skin.
- Skin formations: melanoma, basal cell carcinoma, papilloma.
- Carcinomatosis of the abdominal cavity.
- Brain tumors and brain metastases.